- Crystal shape: elongated sticks, each stick is often a columnar aggregate of multiple crystals
- Color: colorless
- Stability on air: stable
Solution of mannitol and sodium chloride can be bought in drugstores.
The easiest method to grow mannitol sticks is growing from slightly supersaturated solution:
- Prepare saturated solution of mannitol at room temperature. Its solubility at room temperature is 21.6g/100ml
- Heat the solution and dissolve few additional grams of mannitol per 100ml of solution.
- Let the solution cool down to the room temperature. Supersaturated solution is ready.
- Now put a seed in it, cover the growing container and let it grow. When growth stopped, repeat previous steps, storing the crystal in a small container with solution.
Mannitol is not toxic, but have laxative effect if consumed in large amounts.